Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Perspective

The worship remains
Always, the word is Christ
Christ, healing all believers

Since coming to South Korea, I've been somewhat locked in an epic metaphorical soccer game (probably to the death... well... my death at least).  For those of you who haven't been keeping score, let me catch you up:

My team and I tramped onto the field, jet-lagged and motion sick, immediately after disembarking the plane.  Korea showed no mercy, scoring a point within the first few seconds, as we fell on a moving sidewalk and attempted to keep me from getting sucked under (I'm telling you, if it actually could have happened, it would have happened then, so assure your children that they are safe).  Korea 1, visitors 0.

We took the penalty kick for having grounded one of our players (me), and despite the disheartening first minute of the game, we managed to start working together as a team, scoring a return point before ever making it to Cheonan.  We bonded as a team on the van ride home, which may not sound like much, but has been such a blessing.  Korea 1, visitors 1.

A lot of blows were parried, through battles with doorless showers, overly friendly Korean children, language barriers, and more.  I'd say the number of goals we've managed to block has been pretty successful.  However, Korea scored two goals on Sunday, as we committed a huge cultural foux pas, turning down a tour of certain parts of the city.  (It could have happened to anyone, as we didn't think we were committed to it, but because the other Americans at our church had committed themselves, it, in turn, automatically committed us.)  They took the penalty and scored easily.  The affects of that goal have yet to be seen.  Another easy score was my blood sugar crash on Sunday... I skipped breakfast, since I was singing in church, and lunch ended up being mostly noodles.  They got the goal, but I scored again on the penalty kick, figuring out ways to battle the encroaching loneliness that comes with being unmarried in this particular group of teachers.  I have turned my minority to my advantage, using this time to ask my questions about marriage and really listen to what the couples have to say as answers and free advice.  BAM.  Take that.

Soooo... as it stands now, Korea has 3 points, and the visitor has 2.

My first meeting with my head teacher, Ms. 구 ("Koo")
There are a couple of things that are going to be ongoing battles point-wise, like how my relationship with my head teacher turns out (right now, it's looking promising, especially since she is very willing to call me Anne!  Of course... I had to employ my Hangul skills and tell her that my name is 앤, not 애나, but we got there.), and whether or not I can make Terry smile (it's a 50-50 shot right now).  But, here's the main thing that I've learned as the moral of this story: It's not what does or does not happen, it's how I choose to look at the situation that will make or break me here.  By viewing everything here as an opportunity to block a shot and then return fire, I somehow feel like I have more control of my emotions. I don't have to just let it be a bad day, I can revel in the fact that I'm just preventing things from bringing me down. It's an interesting thought, yes?

Oh, and as a final thought, Jenny (who is a Korean) scored a point for the visiting team by telling the restaurant we were at today that it was Lisa's birthday.  Jenny explained that it was a white lie, and therefore okay, and, well, I've been trained not to argue with Koreans.  Whatever the moral decision on the action, the result was quite fun, and almost had smiles all around (still working on Terry)... which means that Jenny managed to tie the score up: Korea 3, visitors 3.  The jury's still out as to which team she's actually striking for.
Celebrating Lisa's "birthday"
Okay.  I love you all bunches and bunches.  I hope you got what I was trying to say... but just in case you didn't here's my whole post but in man-speak (I've been playing translator here a bit):

Some situations may get you down, but change your perspective to look at the positives of it, and it will not be as bad a situation.

:)  Still waiting to know what more you want to hear.  Talk to you later.



Alex, I haven't forgotten you... I'm just waiting to write about playing my violin until after it's already happened. xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment