Wednesday, June 15, 2011

South Korea

Well, it's official. I'm moving to South Korea, where I will be known as 앤, which, for those of you who have managed to refrain from learning Korean, as I have, simply translates to "Anne." Go figure. They sound the same too, which is pretty convenient.

To be honest, I'm not really sure how this happened. I kind of fell into it, more or less. I was a last minute addition to the team of people who will be leaving for South Korea this summer to spend a year or more teaching English in the City of Cheonan. It will be a work and ministry trip of sorts, in which I will spend the week days working in the city schools, and the weekends at a church to which I am assigned. I have requested a church that will allow me the opportunity to play my violin with the orchestra or praise band, so keep your fingers crossed! Also stressful right now, is the fact that I'm still waiting for some paperwork to get processed for that I can get my VISA. All that's left is getting the apostille for my FBI background check, and then I can get this headshot put onto a VISA and into my passport... I feel like this short sentence will take an act of G-d to bring to fruition. Please pray for his intervention into our government's red tape.

I'm steadily working on my Korean with the help of Rosetta Stone (which is amazing and I'd recommend to anyone), and it's coming along, although my vocabulary is very limited, and sentences scare me, but at least I can count to 6 (typing them, not so much yet, but when I get there, I'll be sure to share) and identify a fish. I'm just praying for excellent retention, motivation, and comprehension.

Korean culture is already starting to affect my life. I've had to get a new wardrobe, as showing shoulder is apparently unacceptable. That's okay. $100 and three Goodwills later, I've got 3 new blazers, 4 new pairs of jeans, 2 new skirts, and a dozen or so new blouses... maybe more, I can't remember. All I know is that all of my t-shirts have had to be removed from my closet. It's kind of nice, though, because it makes me feel like a grown-up now when I look at it all. (I guess the fact that I've had some of those t-shirts since middle school was not helping with that endeavor.)

So, by the end of July, I'll be well over my head in trying to learn a new life, because I will be in South Korea. I'll definitely be needing all of your prayers, if you don't mind. Feel free to keep up with me here; I'll try to keep it up-to-date as time allows.

Love!


What I'm listening to now: "Last Friday Night," by Katy Perry (Does anyone know what it is with her and glitter?)
What I probably should be doing now: My vocal literature project

No comments:

Post a Comment