Monday, November 7, 2011

Superheroes (Part 3) - Sometimes it's better just to let someone else save the world.

Well, I'm truly impressed with my Saturday Class... again.  You'd think I'd be used to that by now.  One of my goals for that class (well, all of my classes) is to get my kids critically thinking, not to just take for granted what they're force-fed.  So last Saturday, I assigned them a Venn Diagram of the pros and cons (and neutrals, a word which they defined themselves) of being a superhero.  First, we watched this hybrid clip from the Superman movies to get the juices flowing (I've also linked the Smallville version of this clip to the title of this post... just in case you wanted yet another perspective):

Then, we set to work.  The kids had some great thoughts.  I tired not to think too much about it before hand, because I didn't want to influence what they said, and it turned out great.  They came at it from such a different perspective than I can, so they had some interesting thoughts.  Take a look:


At the end of the day, about two-thirds of the class decided that they would rather let someone else be the superhero, while the other third vehemently maintained that the fame and honor would be worth it (and yes, we did talk about the pros and cons of fame too, which is why it's listed as neutral.  But it's interesting... lack of privacy isn't so much of a con here).  I'm so proud of them.

So, what do you think?

Would you rather be the superhero or leave that to someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment