Saturday, April 7, 2012

Passover Pizza

Tonight marked the beginning of Passover, and I've had this lovely idea percolating around in my head all day for some Passover Pizza.  So, I called up my friend Taylor, and we decided to experiment based on this idea.  The result was this:

Our delicious Passover Pizza.
It turned out well enough that I would like to share the recipe with you so you can try it this week.  I did not, however, measure, so please bear in mind that all measurements are estimates.

Ingredients:
  • 4 pieces of Manischewitz Matzos (I used the plain kind, but I'm eager to try out the whole wheat sometime.)
  • cream cheese
  • 1c Prego tomato sauce
  • 1c Pace picante sauce
  • Italian Seasoning
  • 1/2 can of corn (My Ashkenazi Jewish friends can feel free to omit this ingredient)
  • 1/3 yellow onion, diced
  • 5-6 stems of parsley - shred the leaves, dice the stems
  • 1/4-1/3 c cut up mushrooms (I used enoki)
  • 2 jalepeños (I used one red and one green) with most of their seeds removed and diced.  (Normal bell peppers would be fine if you're not into spice)
  • shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese


Procedure:
  1. Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil.
  2. Cover matzos with cream cheese.
  3. Spoon desired amount of sauce into the middle of each matzo, then sprinkle Italian seasoning across them to taste.
  4. Add the toppings evenly across each matzo, then cover with cheese (generally, you need more than you think).
  5. Bake at about 375°F for 5-10 minutes or until the matzos are browning and the cheese is melted.  Everything is already cooked, you just need to get everything warm.  (I'm cooking in a convection oven, so my timings could be slightly different than yours.)
And voila!  Deliciousness.  This is one the kids are sure to enjoy.  I'd recommend serving it with a Romaine, strawberries, and feta salad and a side of quinoa (mixed with spinach wilts, cranberries, walnuts, and feta - if you're not a vegetarian, some baked chicken is good in this too).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment