Monday, April 9, 2012

Passover Pancakes with Homemade Strawberry Syurp (Vegan and Dairy-Free Options)

Today, while browsing the Lotte Mart (grocery store/Wal-Mart equivalent), I was struck with the desire for pancakes, and, ladies and gentlemen, I'm pleased to announce that I mastered it.  Now, for the pleasure of your (and let's be honest, your kids') taste buds, I present Passover Pancakes (loosely based on this recipe):


Ingredients:
  • 1/2-3/4 c Matzo meal (I made my own by putting 3 pieces of Manischewitz Matzos through a food processer.)
  • a dash of salt
  • 3 medium eggs (Leave this out if you're vegan.)
  • 100 grams of cream cheese (Leave this out if you're vegan or have a dairy allergy.)
  • My delicious almond milk
  • 1/2ish c leftover Charoset put through a food processor (I know, I can't believe I had leftovers either!  If you didn't, applesauce with cinnamon added at home should be fine... pass on the cinnamon stuff in the store - too much sugar)
  • 1/2ish c almond milk (Tonight was my first experience in making my own, and let me tell you... this stuff deserves a standing ovation.)
  • 1.5 t vanilla (I use imitation.)
  • cinnamon to taste (I'm incredibly heavy-handed with this.)
  • Optional: Add fruit or nuts

Procedure
  1. Turn on THIS playlist.  This is crucial.  Your food won't taste as good if you're not in a good mood. :)
  2. Mix all the ingredients, dry ingredients first, of course.  Just go in the order I put them on the ingredients list, stirring constantly. It should look like this when you're done:
  3. Cook on a lightly greased frying pan, flipping only once.  They'll look just like normal pancakes:
  4.  Serve warm, with strawberry syrup on top, and eggs on the side (and maybe some turkey bacon/sausage, if you're not of the vegetarian inclination): Throw several heaping handfulls of fresh, rinsed, de-stemmed strawberries in a food processor, along with whatever Charoset (cinnamon apple sauce) is leftover from your cooking process (~1/4 c).  Heat it on a stove, adding brown sugar to taste.
No, it's not tomato sauce; it only looks like it.
Happy eating!  As always, let me know if you try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment