Wednesday, September 21, 2011

An unexpected reflection

I had plans for a somewhat whiny/culture-shocky post here, but there's a far more pressing matter that I want to talk to you about.

I was recently given my school computer, which pretty much is a lovely black square that sits on my desk at school, since the programs run in Korean and the internet barely works, but the first time I got the internet to run, I noticed that its previous owner (another teacher) had graciously left it bookmarked to several helpful pages one was Waygook (I'd already found that one), which has been absolutely essential in helping me plan my lessons, but another was the blog entitled "Ask a Korean!"  I'm not going to lie, I haven't been very faithful in reading AAK (mostly because I haven't really had enough time nor energy to be too faithful about most things), but the last post I did read really struck a nerve with me.

Those of you who I've gotten to talk with lately (and those of you who are good at paying attention to details and reading between the lines) will probably have picked up on this already, but please, bear with me.

During my orientation time, one of the things that I was warned about is that at some point while I'm here, the odds are that one of my kids will commit suicide.  I want you to take a moment and click on the title of this post and read the AAK post that begins to talk about this.  He is starting up a series on the whole thing, and I plan to be watching it closely.  This is something that is really on my heart, because I care about my kids so much.  Please please please pray for my kids.  They (and their families) need it.  Once you're done that (and if you have the time),  read this from my friend Bri's blog.  I came across it while waiting for this video to load into my blog... it really meshes well with what I'm dealing with.

I'm posting a video of my sweet kids.  Watch it, and pray for them as you do, please.  It's only a few minutes of your life, and it could entirely change theirs.

Love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment