Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lent: The love-hate relationship

***Don't forget to sign the petition (and this one too!) to save refugees from North Korea!***


Blessing #7 - Food

We all have a love-hate relationship with food, don't we?  I like cooking, and I often like eating, but I really don't like what happens when I over-indulge in those things.  Who does?

This morning I got a reminder email for an event that I forgot I'd ever signed up for: the Isaiah 58 Challenge end of the month fast, and, wouldn't you know it, this month it was a fast from food.  Being unprepared, I opted to not participate today, but I haven't had dinner yet, and it's bugging me.

I'm hungry.
I have a headache.
I'm getting irritable.
I'm ever so slightly dizzy.
People are posting pictures of food on Facebook.

And I'm trying to do taxes.


I wonder how people feel who are lucky to get one meal a day.  Does the aching stomach wear off?  Does the headache eventually go away?  Do they learn to squelch the irritability?  Is there a trick to walking a straight line while dizzy?

I realized how blessed I am to have those questions (although, I'm not totally sure that being born to wealth is a blessing and not a curse).  But, as someone (I honestly can't remember who, right now) has drilled into me,

I am blessed to be a blessing.

Who can you bless today?

No comments:

Post a Comment