Monday, September 10, 2012

Middle School is going to be interesting

Today I taught both of my first real middle school lessons.  I'm not counting my introduction lesson, because... well... I'm not.  If these past few days have been any sort of indication, my schedule is going to be constantly in flux, which isn't as upsetting to me as it would have been a couple months ago.  My Monday classes seem to be lulling me into a false sense of security for the upcoming weeks.  They're great kids and mostly great students.  It's nice to have an easy Monday, but it makes for a hard lesson gauge.

People still seem to be mostly satisfied with how I'm teaching.  I had a difference of opinion about how to handle tardiness, but, in the process, learned that at least one of my co-teachers is marking my students on participation, and I think I saw another teacher doing that as well.  Over all, however, my discipline plan of class points leading up to a snack party and review bomb game seems to be working. All I have to do now is figure out when a kid is translating rather than chatting.  I've got to work out a signal for that or something.

Furthermore, I ran into the girl who took over my old school.  She had a bit of a rough day today, just normal settling in stuff, but it's hard, I know.  It made me glad I wasn't at that school anymore, but I'm sure my day is coming.  I bought her some of my favorite Korean snack, 호떡, and pointed out the good pharmacy.  Hopefully stuff will turn around quickly.

Tomorrow I'm planning to finish sorting out what I'll be doing for Chuseok.  I'm not going to write more about it, because I don't want to get my hopes up for anything, but it has potential to turn out great. :)

I'll write more soon.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment