Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lent: Zero

***Don't forget to sign the petition (and this one too!) to save refugees from North Korea!***

Blessing #17 - Intercession
It's like I was saying to Tyson (yes, that's still the one with the changed name) the other day, "Sometimes, there are days when you just can't find what to be thankful for.  On those days, I thank G-d for being G-d, and I let the Spirit intercede where necessary."  He agreed.  Sometimes, that's all we've got.

I learned what I believe to be the truce spirit of intercession when I spent some time at the Abbey of Gethsemani.  I got to visit with a group at my school.  One night, I woke up with an upset stomach and couldn't shake it enough to get some sleep, so I started wandering around.  I heard a noise in the hall and followed it, realizing that it was about time for an early morning service that I had read about to start.

It was maybe two in the morning, but not one of those monks looked to me like he'd rather be somewhere else, although I certainly decided that I would about halfway though.  But then, they got to the prayer portion of the service.  They talked about how they prayed at that time, because it seemed possible to them that no one else in America would be praying at that time, and they didn't want that.  They prayed for so many things - the war, the government, individual members' concerns, and they prayed for our group, noting the name of our school and adding in blessings and their desires to see us grow spiritually.

They didn't even know our names.  We had spent our time observing their general vow of silence (which was rarely broken, except for things like service).  They didn't know us, but they prayed intercessions for us.

I like thinking of that night when I think of intercessions and the Spirit interceding for us when we don't know what to pray.  G-d is so good to us.


What moment shaped your faith the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment