Monday, July 16, 2012

It's ironic, really.

I missed the one-year anniversary of my car accident.  I was busy thinking it was today, but it wasn't.  I noted that it was Friday the 13th, but nothing else, really.

I guess that says a lot, doesn't it?

Life moves on, and we can't get stuck in the past.  We can't keep thinking, "One year ago, I was here," or, "Five years ago I planned to be doing thus and such by this time."  It doesn't really matter that much, does it?  We're here, living today, by some miracle, and we should thank G-d for that.  We should dedicate our time to G-d for that.

Time moves forward, and, with it, so should we.

Because, really, what does longing for what's behind you get you aside from a pillar of salt?  In all its strangeness, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah has an especially beautiful part:

Lot and his family did not want to leave their home. Despite its atrocious nature, they knew what to expect there and how to handle it.  G-d, however, was not content with it, but was determined to show special mercy to Lot.  So, regardless of what I'm sure was Lot's protests, the angels of G-d took Lot and his loved ones by the hands and drug them from the city.

Even at the time of my car crash, I knew G-d was leading me from Nashville.  I thought of it as a closing door, but, maybe, it was something more merciful; maybe it was a removal from a situation G-d no longer wanted me in.  Maybe, He had be by the hand the whole time, dragging me out.

If you keep reading, you find that Lot doesn't exactly end up in the most pleasant of situations after Sodom and Gomorrah, but it is still better in G-d's eyes.  In light of my current homesickness, I can't help but wonder: Did G-d pull me out of my own Sodom and Gomorrah without me even realizing it?


Please remember to always drive safely.  It's not just your life that's dependent on your driving skills - it's everyone else on the road's, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment