Saturday, January 14, 2012

Harry Potter Camp - Day 7 - Transfiguration Class

I'd say the title-link video explains the whole of Harry Potter rather well.  Enjoy, despite the lack of sound on it.

Transfiguration was a bit of a doozy for me to figure out, but, in the end, fellow Harry Potter nut, Lisa, helped me spawn a rather great idea for it, based on the Harry Potter Clue Game that she owns.  Yes we did all the other rubbish that led up to it, PowerPoint, charades, blah blah blah (I mean, they were fun, don't get me wrong), but I would much rather talk to you about this clue game, because it was so cool!  In fact, it was so cool that I got entirely distracted and forgot to take any pictures at all.

Here's the basic idea behind it: In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, you find out that Professor McGonagall has transfigured some chess pieces into giant, living chess pieces.  The kids have to substitute themselves in as pieces to get to the other side of the room and save the world... or something like that.  Anyway, I thought... well, I could shave a lot of time off the game of Clue if I eliminated all those boring squares and dice and extra rooms and most of the game, and had the kids play their way through the room via Clue.  So that's just what I did.

Just in case your bored of all those boring parts of the game too. ;)
To make the rooms, I pushed the spare desks into groups and labeled them.  I wrote the potential murderers' names on the bored, and the weapons were props from earlier in the week, making a reappearance (except for the dagger.  I don't make a habit of keeping those on my person, so I used a pair of scissors instead).  The lesson focused a lot on getting the kids to form English sentences with good structure, specifically while using prepositions.  Korean sentence structure is vastly different from that of English, so it was something that they definitely needed to work on.

I picked the winning combinations, sat back, and enjoyed watching the kids figure them out, based on my Mastermind-like answers.  To tell you the truth, I may have enjoyed it more than they did.  But I saw smiles, so I consider it another tally in the "winning" column.  Boom.

All right, we're almost done with this long tirade of posts that I probably should have been doing day-by-day, rather than on my vacation, but what is, is.  In the words of Dumbledore, "Nitwit!  Oddment!  Blubber!  Tweak!" (And, yes.  I did do that by memory.  Don't judge.)

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment