Monday, May 14, 2012

Be Thou my Vision

On Sunday, I sang my favorite hymn in church... in Korean.  They've been on me to sing/play a solo in church for a while now, but I've been hesitant, because I didn't see how I could do that without drawing the attention toward me and away from G-d, but then I figured it out: a melody that I know really well, paired with words my churchmates can understand (i.e., Korean).  So, I sang.  Don't get excited.  There's no media for you today.

From the best I've been able to understand, it's not an incredibly popular hymn here.  No one has recognized it when I've hummed it for them, but holy cow, did G-d speak through it.  Whether it was the shock of Korean coming out of my mouth or the power of the song (or both), I had their attention from the word go (or 가세요, more appropriately).  They "amen"-ed as much as they do during a normal sermon - loud, unashamed, and heart-felt.  G-d was moving.

We often don't pay attention to the words we sing, but what if the person who you could never understand before, suddenly stood up and starting singing one in your language?  You'd probably listen differently.  I think we need to start paying attention to the words we sing like that all the time.  I mean, in Korea, these words are so important that they're included as part of their Bibles.  That's a big deal.

My Pop-pop had a habit of making us read certain verses of songs when he really wanted us to pay attention to their meaning, and you know what?  I can still quote you the verse he did it the most on. (And when I think, that G-d, His Son not sparing, sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in.  That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing, He bled and died to take away my sin.)

So, in the spirit of truly looking at the words we sing and the message they're trying to give us, I'm going to post the words of this song for you (as printed in the Wesleyan hymnals I've seen), coupled with the Korean, since I seem to have a decent amount of Korean visitors.  I hope you will take the time to read it all.

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
내 맘의 주여 소망되소서
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
주 없이 모든 일 헛되어라
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
밤이나 낮이나 주님 생각
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
잘 때나 깰 때 함께하소서 


Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
지혜의 주여 말씀으로서
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
언제나 내안에 계십소서
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
주는 내 아버지 나는 아들
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
주안에 내가 늘 살고지고


Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
세상의 영광 나 안보여도
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
언제나 주님의 나의 기업
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
주님만 내 맘에 계시오니
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
영원한 주님 참 귀하셔라


High King of Heaven, my victory won,
영원한 주님 내 승리의 주
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
하늘의 기쁨을 주옵소서
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
어떠한 고난이 닥쳐와도
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
만유의 주여 소망되소서


Amen
아멘

No comments:

Post a Comment