Sunday, December 4, 2011

Handel's Mesiah

I got the opportunity to go to hear Handel's Messiah performed live yesterday.  How?  Well, I saw an advertisement for it while I was on the bus, so I took note and showed up later the next day.  Now, I don't mean to slight anyone's hard work over in Nashville, but never in my life have I heard a more glorious performance of this work than I did last night... and they did it without intermission... and added an encore performance of the Hallelujah Chorus.  I was in tears... partially from the beauty of it, and partially from the realization that if I was in Nashville I would be doing the same thing in about a week.   Either way, it was good enough that I had to share.

The cover of the program
I live in Korea.  There's a line for everything.
Tenor 최승진, singing his heart out on "Every Valley Shall Be Exalted."

Mezzo-Soprano 구은서, with an absolutely stunning performance of "O Thou That Tellest Good Tidings To Zion."

Mezzo-Soprano 구은서 and Soprano 박영자, singing "He Shall Feed His Flock Like a Shepherd."  It was too good to cut down, so this is the entire song.

Hallelujah Chorus - I was very pleasantly surprised to find that everyone stood for this, despite a lack of ties to England and its former King.

Bass 류현승 was not my favorite, but only because I'm incredibly picky when it comes to basses.  He clearly is very well trained and has put many hard hours of practice into his profession.  He is singing "The Trumpet Shall Sound," featuring 정권수 on solo trumpet.


I hope you were able to enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment